Volleyball Drops Two Tough Conference Matches / Jace Aymond

The MC volleyball team hosted their first home games of the season this past weekend as they took on Montevallo and Alabama-Huntsville. Although the Lady Choctaws lost in both matches, they were some of the most difficult opponents on the schedule as both Montevallo and UAH made it to the finals of the GSC Spring Championship Series earlier this year. 

In the 3-1 loss to the falcons of Montevallo, the four sets were kept tight by both teams with UM taking the first set 25-23 with the Choctaws putting it back even with a very close 27-25 win in the second set. However, it was the Falcons who clinched the final two sets as the Choctaws scored 18 and 21 points respectively in them. Lexie Richards and Kendall Platt each put up double digit kills with 15 and 13 for the pair with Lexie Laurendine producing 42 assists and yet another 40+ assist match for her. Richards also had 12 digs on the day, which is a new career high for her.

Less than 24 hours later, the Lady Choctaws returned to the court to face the Chargers, resulting in a loss in straight sets. While the Choctaws only put up 14 and 12 points in the first two sets, they kept in mostly deadlocked in the third set, trading points with UAH until they finally pushed through at the end to take the set and match 25-21. The Choctaws had a tough time producing kills as no Lady Choctaw could get into the double digits along with the Chargers producing nine blocks on the day as well. Lexie Laurendine played well for the blue and gold as she had five kills to go along with a team-high 12 assists. Sloane FitzHenry also lead the team with three blocks on the defensive side.

In the GSC, the Lady Choctaws are third in kills per set with 12.3 and Lexie Laurendine is second in assists per set with 9.4. Now with a record of 3-5, MC heads back on the road for a two-game road trip against 16th ranked West Florida this Friday, October 1st at 6:00 pm. The following day, the Lady Choctaws will take on the Warhawks of Auburn-Montgomery at 2:00 pm.