soccer Competes in Tight Matches at UAH / Jace Aymond

Both soccer teams for Mississippi College competed at Alabama-Huntsville, with the women securing a 1-0 victory and the men drawing at one goal apiece. The Lady Choctaws keep rolling with a 6-2 record while the men move to a 3-4-1 record on the season.

Unlike most matches, the lone goal came in the fifth minute of the game from a Dani Avelar strike with Holly Pascoe picking up the assist. MC did a great job limiting the Chargers’ offensive, as they only put up six shots, with two on target. The Lady Choctaws kept the pressure on, however, posting 12 shots with seven on target. Beatrice Currie posted most of MC’s attack as she had four shots with only one missing goal. Sara Maleski between the sticks also had two saves on the day and posting her third clean sheet of the season.

On the men’s side, Filippo Bellu got the Choctaws on the board first with a 19th-minute goal assisted by Pedro Cortes. It was Bellu’s fourth goal in nine games and was the only goal of the first half. With plenty of chances to start out the final half, the Chargers broke through and scored the equalizer from Andres Rodriguez off a corner. Both teams were unable to find the back of the net for the rest of the match, including both overtimes. Even though UAH dominated MC in total shots at 18-6, only six shots for the Chargers were on goal to the Choctaws three. Chavarria made five clutch saves on the night for the Choctaws too.

The squads are back on the road yet again, this time taking on the Tigers of West Alabama with the women starting at 1:00 and the men to follow.