Volleyball Split Road Weekend Gmaes in GSC Play / Jace Aymond

The Lady Choctaw volleyball team took a two-game road trip where they lost to 16th ranked West Florida in straight sets but defeated the Warhawks of Auburn Montgomery in a hard-fought match that went to all five sets.

Against the Argonauts, the Choctaws struggled in the opening set, only putting up 15 points. However, the last two sets were only decided by five and six points respectively. Kendall Platt had nine kills on the night while the Lady Choctaws held the conference leader in kills, Veresia Yon, to only eight. Lexie Laurendine and Levi Lennard each had a 10-plus assist match with MC and UWF each recording five blocks on the night. 

In the AUM match, the Lady Choctaws started strong with a 25-23 win in set one. The Warhawks bounced back, however, winning the next two sets with 25-18 and 25-20 scores. MC did exactly what they needed to do after that as they won the next two sets, 25-19 and 15-8, to take the match and breaking a three-game losing spell. MC had 58 total kills as Kendall Platt had 17, Lydia Paulette at 13, and Lexi Richards with 10. Stevie Nesbit had all five blocks for the Lady Choctaws and set a new career-high for herself.

The 4-6 Lady Choctaws sit at ninth overall in conference standings and have two home games this upcoming week. The first is against West Alabama this Tuesday, October 5th at 6:00 pm as MC looks to beat the Tigers, who are last in the GSC standings. On Saturday, Union will make the trip to Clinton where starting time is set for 10 am.