Main Street Clinton to Have a Fall Full of Events / Emily-Kate Ford

Main Street Clinton, Inc., a program of the Mississippi Main Street Association, strives to strengthen the community feel in Clinton through partnerships with businesses, property owners, and residents. The incorporation consists of different committees that separately hold unique tasks but come together to make Clinton the best it can be. One way in which Main Street Clinton does this is by regularly hosting events within the community. A few of these events include Olde Towne Markets, parades, and other activities catered to different age groups. Events like such help bridge the gap between the community of Clinton and students of Mississippi College.    

For college students, it is easy to become so caught up in all that is happening on campus, that they miss out on what is going on within the city itself. Main Street Clinton strives to help this issue. Main Street Clinton Assistant Director Anna Hawks discussed the incorporation’s desire to have college students involved within the community and in attendance at events.  “We always love for more students to know what all is going on,” Hawks said.  

Several MC students have attended events hosted by Main Street Clinton. Kayden Chistov, a junior, says she loves the events. “ Main Street Clinton provides lots of opportunities for students to get off campus for a little bit and interact with the Clinton community,” Chistov said. “The events are always so fun and such a sweet way for college students to feel at home in Clinton!”  

Main Street Clinton has several events to look forward to in the upcoming future.

In the month of October, Main Street Clinton will be hosting an event called Dinner & A Movie. As the weather slowly cools down, people within the community are invited to Jefferson Street to enjoy food and a family film. The movies will begin at dusk, providing time for attendees to grab some food at a local restaurant then find a seat to watch the movie. On Friday, Oct. 8, the 2017 Disney Pixar film “Coco” will be streamed, while later on in the month on Oct. 22, the movie “Hocus Pocus” will be played as everyone gets in the spirit for Halloween.  

Main Street Clinton also announced that the BBQ on the Boulevard event will be returning on Saturday, Oct. 9. This event consists of a best BBQ competition and, added this year, a steak competition. Those who compete have the opportunity to potentially win $1,550 in prize money. 

Main Street Clinton will kick off the harvest season on the second Saturday in October with the Fall for Clinton Market. The market offers handcrafted items including woodwork, jewelry, candles, apparel, and more. Shoppers enjoy live music and a number of dining options. During the market, don’t miss the annual Pet Parade. Pet owners are invited to bring pets of all shapes and sizes to take part in the parade, and costumes are encouraged! The parade will wind through Olde Towne, with prizes awarded at the conclusion of the parade.For more information about these events or others hosted by Main Street Clinton, visit www.mainstreetclintonms.com or view their Facebook page @MainStreetClinton.