Student-Directed Play Auditions Kick Off Theatre Season / Gracie Lee

Students with a dramatic flair are welcomed to audition for the radio play of It’s a Wonderful Life by Dr. Phyllis Seawright, assistant professor of communication, and students of the play directing class. Audition dates are tentative but will likely require actors to prepare a short monologue and read excerpts from the script. Seawright plans to hold the auditions the week of Sep. 27, in Aven 107, the former Little Theatre. Performances will usher in the holiday season the weekend before Thanksgiving break. It will run Nov. 19-21 in Jean W. Pittman Hall, with evening performances at 7:30 p.m. on Nov. 19-20 and a matinee at 2:30 p.m. on Nov. 21.

Joe Landry’s script will present a fresh take on the 1946 holiday favorite starring James Stewart and Donna Reed. It is based on the self-published story The Greatest Gift, written by Phillip Van Doren Stern. It features charming retro aspects of a traditional broadcast, like soap commercials, and Freddie Filmore, the radio announcer. The script allows for actors to play multiple parts and will run about an hour long. 

The student directors are eager for rehearsals to begin. Jenna Trotter, a junior social work major from Collierville, Tennessee, decided to add a theatre minor her sophomore year, after transferring to Mississippi College. “I’ve always enjoyed performing in my church’s plays, so I wanted to do more in college,” she said. This is not her only experience on the stage. Theatergoers might have seen her in Everyman: The Reality Show that the Theatre Department staged in the spring of 2021.

Victoria Hendren, called Tori by her friends, is a junior English literature major from Millington, Tennessee, and is also pursuing a theatre minor. Her acting experience also started at a young age. “My mom enrolled me in acting classes since I was six…. because she thought it would help me with my confidence…and I’ve loved it since then,” she said. She is most looking forward to seeing “my favorite Christmas movie come to life and the [audience] become immersed in it.”