Huge Second Half Gives Choctaws Crucial Non-Conference Win / Jace Aymond

After a relatively quiet first half between the Choctaws and the Patriots of UT-Tyler, MC’s offense exploded in the second half, producing all four of their goals in only a 10-minute span. Defensively, the team held strong as well, as they added a shutout to their already impressive win. 

No true chances came in the first half by either squad, even though MC had eight shots. However, from the 70th to the 80th minute, the Choctaws offensive shone bright. Noah Wagner picked up his seventh goal in the 70th minute of the match to get the Choctaws rolling with Antoine Recizac following his lead with a strike just three minutes later. The leader of the offense on the afternoon was Filippo Bellu, who scored his first two goals of the season with beautiful plays in the 77th and 80th minutes. With Wagner, two other Choctaws got assists as well on the day in Santi Diosa and Guilherme Santos. The Choctaws outshot the Patriots 15 to 5 with the Patriots only mustering one shot on target in the entire match. 

With the win, the Choctaws now have not lost a match in four games and currently sit in fourth place in the Gulf South Conference standings with a 5-4-1 overall record. The Chcoctaws are third in the conference in least goals allowed per match at .88 in their 10 games. Individually, Noah Wagner is tied for first in shots on target with Union’s Gavin Scott with 1.7 per match and is tied for second in goals with his seven total. Goalkeeper Alejandro Chavarria is quietly having a great season as he is third in the GSC of goals against average and fourth save percentage. 

The Choctaws have their final non-conference game of the season when they travel to LSU-Alexandria this upcoming Monday, the 11th. Kickoff against the Generals is set for three in the afternoon.