Carver Commodore Rocks Mississippi College / Noah Drewes

Mississippi College students gathered in the bowl outside the student life center October 8 for an evening of food and music, as the university’s student engagement board booked Alabama indie rock group Carver Commodore for an evening performance. 

The night opened with a stripped down seven-song-set from an MC student band led by senior Naomi Taylor. The currently unnamed trio kicked things off with a cover of The Beach Boy’s hit “Don’t Worry Baby” before playing an assortment of originals and covers, ultimately finishing with a rendition of Paramore’s “Last Hope.” 

Carver Commodore, based out of Florence, Ala. stopped in Clinton as part of their October tour to preview their second studio album, “Welcome to the Modern World” which comes out on all formats October 22. 

The five-man band consists of Payton Pruitt (vocals, guitar), Clayton Christopher (backing vocals, guitar, keys), Phillip Blevins (backing vocals, guitar), David Smith Jr. (backing vocals, bass guitar), and Noah Freeman (drums). 

Carver Commodore rocked out the night with an impressive 22 song set. Of the 22 songs, 17 were originals written by the band, such as “Stars and Galaxies” and “Black Plastic,” which sit at 1.5 million plays and 670,000 plays, respectively, on Spotify. 

“I have never heard of this band, but they absolutely killed it,” junior Tate Marchant said. “This is by far the best event MC has done in my three years here, and I hope this becomes a pattern.”

The event even attracted those who aren’t MC students, such as Raymond local Brady Renfro. 

“They had an awesome stage presence and their music was phenomenal,” Renfro said. “I really wish more people attended, so more people could have heard them. They were an amazing band.” 

The lack of attendance could, in part, be attributed to the lack of promotion by MC on social media channels. No posts were made prior to the event, and only one email was sent, three hours before it started.

In an era where bands like Carver Commodore are still trying to get their name out, they depend on promotion to extend the reach of their music. Despite the space available and talent, only about 50 students attended the concert.

Even though there was a lack of student turnout, Carver Commodore lead singer Payton Pruitt said, “The best part about doing intimate shows like this is the people. Getting to meet and talk with new people everywhere has been great, and the city of Clinton is no different.”