Country Music Star Riley Green Puts on Free Concert at Mississippi State Fair / Ann Cabot Stockett

Reese Carwile was excited to attend the Mississippi State Fair. The concertgoer from Oxford, Miss. has been a fan of country artist Riley Green for a number of years and has even attended a number of his performances artist in the past. However, Green’s concert Oct. 12 at the Mississippi State Fair in Jackson was unlike any of the prior performances Carwile previously attended.

Green, whose concert tickets typically sell for around $30, played a free show at the state fairgrounds Tuesday night for all attendees who had purchased admission to the Mississippi State Fair, which runs from Oct. 6 to Oct. 13.

“It [Green’s performance at the state fair] completely exceeded my expectations,” Carwile said. “Not only did I get to be on the front row of the concert, I also got to get the whole fair experience and all for the price of admission.” 

Thousands of country music fans came from across the state to watch Green perform a set that lasted approximately an hour and a half. The 32-year-old singer/songwriter performed 20 minutes longer than his scheduled concert time because the crowd was so involved, which prompted him to announce that he was having fun and was not ready to quit after his originally allotted time.

“I came out to the fair today to ride some rides, and with it, I also got a free concert from one of the best new country singers,” Justin Storm, a college-aged concertgoer, said. “My overall fair experience was great.”

Fans began arriving well before the concert’s 7 p.m. start time, and the Budweiser stage area was packed at show time. The crowd represented all ages, with many people dressed in cowboy boots and western attire. 

Green, a native of Jacksonville, Ala., asked for audience participation when fans began singing along to his songs. And, naturally, the fans responded enthusiastically. He even signed caps, stuffed animals and a pair of crutches for a fan.

Although the concert wrapped up by 9 p.m., many attendees stayed at the fair until its closing time two hours later, grabbing food, playing games, and riding the attractions. 

“Riley Green puts on a great show. This is my second time to see him and I have loved both concerts,” said Courtney Stewart, a middle-aged adult concertgoer. “He is one of the best entertainers in the business and is very nice looking.”