MC RUF Hosts First Swing Dance Since Pandemic / Kienna Van Dellen

The Mississippi College Reformed University Fellowship (RUF) welcomes students to authentic relationships and the study of God’s word through their time on campus. The ministry was established on the campus of MC in 1999. 

This past weekend they hosted their biannual swing dance at Garawya Camp and Conference Center. The swing dance was originally started six years ago in an effort for the ministry to connect with international students and introduce them to a part of the American culture.

Since then, the dance has been hosted as a biannual event open to the campus as an opportunity to get to meet new people and spend a night dancing. “We see it as a way we can serve students by giving them a chance to have fun with their friends, a chance to learn a new skill,” Said Campus RUF Minister Jeff Jordan, “really to be part of the MC environment, recognizing that students need outlets for getting away from their studies, being together doing things where they can get to know each other and be known.” 

Rachel Graham instructed this semester’s dance. Rachel is a junior at MC as well as co-captain of the Mississippi College Dance Team; she has been dancing for 16 years and has been teaching swing dancing since high school. The night held a variety of styles of swing, both east and west coast, with a mixture of simple and complex steps. This fall dance is the first time RUF has been able to host their swing dance since the fall of 2019; covid-19 postponed and canceled many plans across campus. This event is a main anchoring event for the campus ministry as they hope to connect further with students and engage and equip them for their future.