Lyric Stage at MC to Produce “Godspell” in Spring 2022 / Gracie Lee

The MC music department’s newly branded “Lyric Stage at MC” is producing Godspell during the spring 2022 semester. This musical, composed by Stephen Schwartz (Wicked, Pippin), is based on the 2012 revival. Auditions are Friday, Dec. 4, from 1:00-4:00 p.m. in the JPW Recital Hall in Aven Hall. Individuals of all experience levels are encouraged to audition. Students’ time slot will consist of a 16-bar song and a 10-minute group audition. The group component does not require preparation. An accompanist will be provided, but singers may choose to bring a recording of the song track on their phones instead. 

Rehearsals will be led by Mr. Tyler Kemp, faculty accompanist, and Jamie Ertle, who earned her B.M. at Mississippi College. The schedule will consist of a 3:00-5:30 p.m. practice on Wednesdays and a 1:30-5:00 p.m. practice on Fridays. Singers should clear their schedule for tech weekend on March 25-27 and performances on March 31-April 3. Lyric Stage will post the cast list before students’ departure for Christmas break, and rehearsals will commence in January. Those who wish to audition must email NKPerna@mc.edu for a time slot.

The 2012 retelling features eclectic music and a wide variety of songs. It is based on the gospels, relying heavily upon Matthew. Jesus, along with John the Baptist and supporting characters, tells the Lord’s parables through melodies that range from pop to vaudeville. The plot follows Jesus through his life, ending with the Last Supper and the Crucifixion. Crowd favorites like “Prepare Ye the Way of the Lord,” “Day by Day,” “Light of the World,” and “Bless the Lord” narrate Christ’s teachings through fist-pumping, inspiring lyrics and melodies. The musical concludes with the followers of Jesus going forth in the world to share his message of love. 

“I’m so grateful to be back at MC to direct Godspell,” Ertle said. “My favorite memories from college all happened while participating in a musical. I hope to see students from the entire campus audition.”