Black History Month Finishes Strong with “Celebrating the Black Legacy” Performance / Gracie Lee

Black History Month concluded on a strong note, with students’ performance of “Celebrating the Black Legacy” on February 24, in Swor Auditorium. It showed glimpses of Black history through the decades, creatively depicted by dancing and narrations. Camryn Johnson, a senior, directed and performed on stage with choreographer Ajah Swanson. Two of MC’s dance teams, Monarch and Praise, joined them. Among the cast were dancers, Nia Harvin, Nia McKnight, Britney Young, Mahala Berry, Makhali Berry, Alexandra Daigle, Miracle Keys, Ezra McCaw, Allie Satcher, and Ellie Satcher.

Johnson was first inspired to produce the show after watching Swerve the previous years. 

“We should do that for Black History month, and I think it can be done,” she said. She put her experience performing at her church to use when preparing for opening night. “I’m excited for the audience to see a glimpse of Black history and see all the work we have put together for this show,” she said.

Senior Aaliyah Newsome and Junior Braxton Lewis were excited to showcase their hard work in front of any audience. “I’m ready to get on the stage and I’m everybody to see what’s happening and just see how time has progressed,” Newsome said. 

The addition of negro spirituals and a recording of Sojourner Truth’s “Ain’t I a Woman?” enhanced the flavor of the of the production. “ The process has been very fun and also very tiring, but it’s going to all be worth it, once it gets put together,” Lewis said. “I’m most excited about the music.”